Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tricare, Medicare, Rah Rah Rah

So I've decided to switch from Tricare Prime to Tricare Standard.  It will give me a hiccup of about a week, but I'm *hoping* that the change gets processed within a week, so I can go to a local family doc and get a written referral to PT before my appointment on the 27th.   Good thing I called this afternoon to find out though, because if I had shown up next week without a written referral and handed them my Medicare card, they would have sent me away, even with a Tricare Prime referral.  Since Medicare is primary, they have to have a written referral whether I have Prime or Standard as my secondary.

As soon as my Tricare change gets processed, I'm also choosing an OB.  I've been going on post which is required with Tricare Prime, and have seen a different provider at every visit.  That's ridiculous.  With 3 rods in my pelvis and a bicornuate uterus, I need continuity of care, and have been refused such through army medicine.  I've gotten a recommendation from a friend for a civilian OB.  I've never been fond of any of the 3 female OB's I've had before: for some reason the ones I've gotten have been femi-nazis who ridicule my choice of birth control (NFP, which, by the way, has worked perfectly for 8 years).  And I do mean ridicule.  It's kind of funny how some doctors will prescribe a grade one carcinogen for birth control and mock anyone who wants to do it naturally as backwards.  But I digress.  The recommendation I have is for a female OB, but I've heard nothing but good things about this one.  I am actually very optimistic about this change from Prime to Standard.  I will have insurance that costs a little more, but will actually give me choices, like most civilians have.

No comments:

Post a Comment