Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Heartbeat

We saw the heartbeat Monday.  Now I can exhale...

I am off the Flexeril entirely.  I don't think it was helping much with either the muscle spasms or the sleeping problems.  I am sleeping better at night and feeling less pain now that I've found those gluteus medius stretches.  So I'm just on Tylenol now, and I also have a referral in to physical therapy.

On the emotional side, I have been dealing with people who question my choices and capabilities in caring for my kids and the new baby as well. So I have to grit my teeth as they tell me how hard my choices will be on me, as if I hadn't considered the challenges or consequences, or as if I am incompetent.  Perhaps their comments aren't meant that way, perhaps they are just trying to empathize, I don't know.  But it comes across critically. 

It is so vitally important to surround ourselves with people who will be supportive.  People will question your choice to have surgery.  People will question your choice to have another child.  But ultimately, if people can't trust me to make an informed decision based on facts, then those people don't know me and don't need to be speaking into my life.

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you Liz. Can you clarify what you mean by gluteus medius stretches? Maybe I should be doing those. Also, I understand the emotional side of things. With you being over a year post op what is your weight limit for lifting now?! Just remember, only you know what is best for you and your family! It is no one else's reason to judge!! I am sure people will say the same if I have a baby as well. Take Care, Jaymie L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Jaymie, see my previous post on exercise. I have links to two websites where I got the stretches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some arrogant people out there think they know what's best for strangers or people they barely know, and these individuals rush to judge others, whether it's related to having children (or not having children), career choices, etc. Making such judgements helps them keep their feeling of superiority. Ignore them.

    ReplyDelete