Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Birthing a Baby

My OB and I discussed my pubic symphysis (PS) issues yesterday, and she seems quite convinced that regardless of my right-sided iFuse, I will NOT tear my PS ligaments during delivery, and that even diastasis would be extremely unlikely. She is willing to explore any birthing position I want, including side-lying (her suggestion, and one I've read about on PS sites as a good one) and even on all fours. PS sites suggest all fours is the safest for the PS, but my OB said there are other risks with all fours, like tearing your urethra or even clitoris (!), which, let's be honest ladies is a horrific prospect, lol!

I was very glad to hear that she is willing to explore alternative positions, even though she doesn't place any stock in the idea that I have an increased risk of permanent damage. I tried explaining to her how many of my SI friends have had permanent or long-lasting problems with their PS, but she dismissed that... So, I am both relieved at her willingness to explore what I want, and nervous that she seems so nonchalant about the possibility of real PS damage. She was adamant "fusion or no fusion, your risk is extremely small," she said.  She said it's because the PS ligaments are some of the strongest in the body. Of course, SI ligaments are also supposed to be some of the strongest in the body, right?  And mine failed me last pregnancy resulting in a violent and brutal surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment