Sunday, June 16, 2013

Strengthening

I am definitely getting stronger in PT, and my c-section pain is virtually non-existent at this point.  However, regardless of my strengthening, my glute and hip pain on my fused side is getting no long-term relief.  I feel much better immediately after my exercises, but then I have to drive or shop and the pain returns.  I am still taking lots of motrin (day) and alleve (night), along with Percocet for break-through pain once or twice a week.  After I finish my PT referral this month, I am going to ask for some new imaging if the pain is still consistent.  It's been 2 years since xrays and 3 since an MRI.  I'm sure I could go to pain management and get botox in my piriformis and maybe get something for my hip, but I don't want to do botox every three months for the rest of my life.  I want to get better.  I realize that may never be in the cards for me, but I want it anyway.  Not quite willing to accept defeat yet.  After all, I pushed and pushed until I got through with the SI pain, and now the residual, related imbalances are the only pains I have left.  Yes, they can be debilitating too, but not as much or as often as the SI pain, which was intensely crippling full time.  I'll update again once I get imaging complete. 

However, I can now say I believe that the pregnancy did not make the problem better or worse, which I am happy to live with.  I have new hip issues, but my PT thinks that's just life and aging, rather than either my fusion or my pregnancy.

5 comments:

  1. Wow.. thank you for documenting your experience. Your blogs have been an invaluable source of information for us women who are at the crossroads of having a child and are at the same place you once were. I am sure that I speak for others when I say I truly truly appreciate it and look up to you for inspiration.

    Keep on fightin!
    Beca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beca! That's exactly what I was hoping for when I decided to document this. I hope it helps to know yes it's been done - pregnancy after iFuse. You just have to stay in constant contact with good healthcare professionals, and know how much your own body can handle. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Liz,

    I am almost exactly a year behind you - due April 1 - and have had both SI joints fused. Knowing what you know now, what would you recommend to those who follow your footsteps?

    Thanks,
    Bekkah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bekkah -- the key is physical therapy with someone who is trained in women's health and/or pelvic stability. And listen to your body. Get rest when you can, strengthen according to your PT's instructions, and use meds if you need to. I used Tylenol and Flexeril -- ask your OB about using those if you need to. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz, how are you doing now that some time has passed?

    ReplyDelete